Friday, October 06, 2006

Future medicine professional

Well firstly I can say, that med students around the world are the same. At least Canadian/American and Australian med students that is. The other day, while waiting for the lecturer who was late, a student ran out the front and said "so does everyone want to do a wave and I'll record it with my phone?". And they did, three times.

I've been fortunate to see over the last month highly interesting medical lectures. Some of the pictures are a little nauseating but not so bad as to remove the interest. I feel privileged to see these lectures and I won't pretend to say I understand more than 50% of what I'm seeing/hearing but I also have a handy net connection and google with wikipedia, I can usually get the gist of whats going on. However it does make me think bleakly of the future of some of these "doctors" when I see one or two of them playing computer games in the back row of the lecture theatre. Now generally I'm pretty understanding of games, I'm a gamer myself, but when the lecturer is talking, you should be paying attention especially when your above first year medicine, since this could be an important lesson that one day may save a life. Now there are other factors, maybe he could multi-task listening and playing, or maybe he was doing 2nd year medicine again and toped this section of the course. Regardless, I laughed about it at first and then decided that I hoped I never had him as a doctor.

To date, the most icky lecture I've had to sit through was diseases of the Anus, Rectum and Colon. Yuck.

3 comments:

Kass said...

The very reason why I loathe doctors (tho I do know some nice ones) lol.

When I was 10, I got really sick, was taken to hospital, where a bunch of medical students then tried to persuade my mother that I was bulimic. They did lots of tests, and I spent probably a good part of 3 months being poked and jabbed. And when they couldn't solve it, I was apparently bulimic.

When infact, I was getting motion sickness from my waterbed.

They are idiots.

Ew, anus stuff. Ew. Your job does sound like fun though :)

Anonymous said...

arse!

Anonymous said...

I sometimes wonder why there are proctologists at all. I can't imagine that having my hands inside the arse of an overweight middle aged man would give me a sense of job satisfaction. Now being a boobologist; that would be an interesting job.