Friday, July 07, 2006

Turn the dang music down and get off the damn lawn!

We went to Frontline Assembly last night at Richards on Richards. It was really cool once we got inside and saw that this is one of those bars that features in almost all TV and low-budget films shot in Vancouver.

The bar was filled with Industrial fans and punk enthusiasts. Every 5 minutes I expected to see either Leon or Goggles Medway in the crowd, but they were nowhere to be seen. I kinda missed them for an event like this.
We arrived while DJ? Acucrack was playing. His music was nice industrial music which near the end of his set almost became happy hardcore, which was a little odd.

Next came Urceus Exit, who played an awesome set. The music wasn't that danceable (apart from the last song) but it was some of the best live industrial music I've heard.

After them was an act called Conjure one. Apparently they are an offshoot from Frontline Assembly ex-member. Unfortunately they were nothing special. The female singer was trying to sound like sinead o'conner. The music was nice but nothing new.

Finally FLA came on. I was really looking forward to their show and sadly I was a little disapointed. I've only just got into FLA over the last year and really have loved their music. To be honest, the music could have been the best in the world last night, but I would have like to have heard the lyrics and enjoyed the music without my ears bleeding. We stayed for 20 minutes of their set and just left. I had been warned by a few that FLA are not as good as they used to be, which was indeed a fair call, but I would have thought the noise level would have been sussed out so they could have played at their best.
However that didn't ruin the evening. I was happy to go out and here some good live music with Shan, which I haven't done in ages and not even the loud music and partial deafness after leaving could have ruined that :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG..you saw FLA…so not fair ! ( I saw KMFDM couple of years ago..they wer e pretty good )

You missing Bec’s birthday and our housewarming ( Too bad.

Hope all is well.

Paul

Anonymous said...

awwww. well, at least i’m not too jealous anymore then :)

i think all concerts have to be up really loud now because most of our generation broke their hearing by listening to music too loud. ironic, no?