Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Dead shift: a week in progress

This week I undertook my job in the funeral business. I'm working for Alderwoods in Canada in the Network support center. I am supporting most of the US and Canada for their networking needs. So far I have learnt how to call ISP's and reboot routers, riveting stuff I'm sure :) However it is giving me experience in and area of IT I have not had the chance to work in before and making sence of my CCNA studies that is quite useful. You could say the job is just like 6 feet under, but with more gigs.

The most amusing thing on the job this week so far has been the number of sites around america that have been hit by lightning. 27. 27 alone this week! I know for most of the USA thats nothing, but the fact that 27 funeral homes have been hit by lightning which have blown out their DSL links makes me think one of two things. One, their doing something to piss of a deity of some kind. Or two, their attempting to bring back the dead, ala Frankenstein. Sure you could say theres a third, they are in hurricane zones and its that time of season, but I'd just say your taking the logic path and go home and play with pythagorus :P I'd like to think there are 27 frankenstein monsters running around America ... ah the American dream.

Also if you've read Shan's blog, you would know that we have just got a new appartment in the "Kitsalano" area, which is similar to Balmain. We have a 2 bedroom appartment which was advertised as a "1 bedroom with den". Its soooo good, we have room for visitors and still plenty of room for a circus ;) I think we really lucked out. We're not really paying much more than we would have payed for our appartment in Sydney after the price hike we would have gone through had we stayed in Sydney.

Due to our new appartment, we went shopping in IKEA today. We arrived at 11am and litterally shopped til we dropped (true story). It was 4pm by the time we got out. But we successfully bought most of the things we need to set up a place and got sweedish meatballs to boot (we ate them, not kicked them ... I know you were thinking it!).

So so far, Vancouver is looking up, I miss everybody terribly, but I reckon this is all going to be worth it :) Catcha on the flip side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done on the digs. I think Ikea should be banned. The maniacal laughter from the lumber yard is probably the guy who designs the way the furniture is put together.