Thursday, May 31, 2007

Urban hunters

So yesterday morning I walked out the front of our apartment complex and was startled to find two coyotes out the front. They were also quite startled and immediately bolted away further up the block. I was quite surprised as I've never seen a coyote before. I noticed they had been eating something so I wandered past. Sadly, it was what I expected after hearing about coyotes in Vancouver. It was the remains of a kitty. I won't go into the gritty details but it was definitely a deceased kitty. The crows woke us up around 5:30 in the morning squawking quite hard so I had my answer. I moved to the other side of the street and watched the coyotes. I could only see one of them and it was watching me not moving. I eventually continued up the block and watched it run back to the spot. Didn't see much else after that. It was sad that a kitty bit the bullet but at the same time it was amazing to see urban adapted animals.

So I've seen raccoons (saw one last night on the way home just strutting up the street), now seen Coyotes, the last thing to see in Vancouver is bears. Or Cougars, but I know how to get round them due to that handy description of how to scare them off from Falsedans shelf. I'm hoping my urban encounter with bears will be from a far distance and involve no harm to myself or anyone else.

Vaya con Dios little cat.

3 comments:

Shanathalas said...

You have seen a bear - up at Grouse Mountain. But it was in an enclosure.

You've also seen squirrels, skunks, and lots and lots of Canada Geese. And those nasty swans in Lost Lagoon.

Jaime said...

We also saw that bear in the wild on top of the mountain, but I'm talking urban environment, enclosures don't count (and I'm sure I've sufficiently tested the fates that it'll happens soon).

True, I didn't include Squirrels or skunks (man that was a close call). Canada Geese are awesome and Swans, whats your issue with them! ;)

Shanathalas said...

Cause that nasty swan swam all the way across the lake just to attack me when I was five years old.

And, yeah, I forgot that while the grizzly up the mountain was in a pen, we did see that wild black bear in the bush.