Monday, March 31, 2008

Ministry

So last friday night we went out to see Ministry. Now Ministry is one of those bands I've always wanted to see. So last November when I heard "this is going to be Ministry's last tour" I scrambled hard to purchase tickets and got them surprisingly easily. And then promptly forgot I had tickets. Then the new year came round and I started thinking "Ministry, thats soon right" and the started getting excited.

Fast forward to March 28th and it was time. Now Shan and I weren't feeling that great as we hadn't been sleeping well all week, but it was going to be a once only chance. We went out with dinner with friends and then wandered over to the Commodore Ballroom. We had missed Hemlock, but Meshuggah were still playing and were pretty darn awesome. It was everything I could have wanted from a metal band along with the outrageous harsh vocals.

And then Ministry came on. They played a bunch of music of which I recognised maybe 2 songs but was pretty wicked. We'd been smart, we had bought earplugs as Rob and Elwood had warned us that Ministry is in the Guinness book of world records for loudest show and I could actually hear the next day as apposed to the times I had seen Sepultura, Soulfly and Biohazzard.

But the best came with the encores. During the first encore they announced that they had with them Burton C. Bell from Fear factory. This for me made me ecstatic as I have always wanted to see Fear Factory back when Obsolete came out. Talking to friends they've said that Bell is not great performing live as a lot of the vocals were augmented in studio but that was not noticeable during Ministry's performance. So the first encore played a lot of their older songs especially a bunch from Psalm 69 and the audience went off! Then the second encore was nuts. They played songs from their cover album Cover Up and the tracks were Roadhouse Blues (The doors) and Under my thumb (The Rolling Stones). I couldn't stop laughing.

We decided at that point the night probably wouldn't get better than that and headed for home. It was a great night out, thanks heaps Ministry!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[HATE]

Make Ministry Come Here.



ps: I dont really hate you.

Maybe.

Jaime said...

Hehe, it's cool, I completely understand.

If I can, I'll make them go there. I know someone who knows someone who can put in the word ;)