Thursday, November 16, 2006

Free does not equal good

Yesterday I did something very silly.

I work in a hospital and yesterday they were giving free flu shot to anyone who wanted one. I thought "we'll that's probably a good idea. That way I won't get the flu". And so I had them put a needle into my arm. Before that happened they made me read a sheet which pretty much said "you might get sick" if I have the shot but I thought "pfft what are the odds". The next clue that this might not be good was when they asked "So which is your writing arm, I'll give you the shot in the other one". It made me pause but I went ahead with it anyway.

Guess what. I got sick!

It came on slow. Didn't notice it at first. I expected to have a small affect, after all the shot is a smaller form of the flu anyway, whether it was killed or weakened so my immune system could take it over and make sure it didn't have house keys anymore. The it was time to get some lunch. That's when the high fever hit and I started to hallucinate. I saw a chicken-man getting a chicken burger at the kiosk. I couldn't help but stare and then I went and got my tuna wrap. On the way over to the new building where I had to go provide some training, before I got outside, it started raining on the inside. I put up my umbrella and got some very funny looks (also a bought of bad luck as its really bad to put up an umbrella indoors, usually for the umbrella).

That abated after the Tylenol kicked in and then I completed the training session and then went to check out the new lecture theatre. I was going to go and be part of another meeting when the Operations Manager said I looked dreadful and that I should go home. And so I did. And last 30 minutes before a migraine rendered me almost unconscious (luckily enough time to clean the dishes) and I went to sleep for 2 hours before Shannon got home.

And thus I was sick for most of last night with the hot-cold flashes. What was worse was that I had "the Grand ol' Duke of York" stuck in my head for several hours yesterday.

And I still feel like crap.

This whole experience reminds me of plif.

3 comments:

Kass said...

Flu shots are evil. Though I dont blame you for initially thinking it was a good idea, since you do work in a hospital :) How you're feeling better soon! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a free innoculations are a good thing kind of person. I've had two flu shots so far - no side effects except a very sore arm for a day (I'm a really baby when it comes to injections) and I didn't get much of a flu.

Still waiting for my flu shot this year - the doctor went home early last week

Anonymous said...

It's worth it for the chicken man.