Friday, June 30, 2006

In a land of plenty, some bring none to the table.

Well it was a day for ups and downs. We watched the football this morning. Yay for Germany and boo for Italy. I can only hope that Germany kicks them out of the World cup.

The next upset was when we went to the bank and found out we had to make an appointment to do so. They originally quoted 2 weeks to do so, but we were able to get that down to a week. We're going to see if some of the other branches can help us out rather than going through the main branch.

We had a lovely lunch at Earls and we're very happy with out choices. Sadly we were not served by Crab man.

The final upset of the day (so far) was that we have been searching for an ethernet hub or switch so we could share the 1 port high speed modem shan's mum has for her computer and shan's laptop. Then once we got my PC and an appartment of our own, to use for LAN's, etc. However the only switches I could find required Routers to which I already have one coming via sea and would not need. Now that wasn't the worst part because the clerk at least told me it wouldn't work with a high speed modem, rather than letting me walk of with it. He also mentioned that they are phasing out hubs and it will be quite hard to get one.

So we were walking home and walked past one of the small computer stores where you can get single hardware rather than bundles. Great I think. I walked in and asked the kid behind the counter "Do you have any Hubs?". He blinked at me "Hubs?" "yes, ethernet hubs...for networking" "I've never heard of hubs, what are they". I thought, this is not so unreasonable, if there phasing them out he may not know. "Oh .. ok, do you have any switches" he looked to be of the age that would play computer games, LANs and such. "Switches? You mean like, for turning things off an on?". I stood there dumbfounded for a second. Shannon then pointed above his head behind him and stated "no we mean those behind you". He looked at them and then shrugged. I left very quickly before I started to yell. How can he work in a computer store and not know what a Switch is or if they even have any?! I ask you, what is che, WHAT IS CHE?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it an accent thing? Do you have to put eh? at the end of each question? What is Che? huh? HUH?

Anonymous said...

It was what does c-h-e mean?

Jaime said...

Heh, I knew if i left it long enough you’d pop up ;)

At least I know how you feel :)

Anonymous said...

I have on a number of occasions had the kind of person that thinks in machine code, point out to me what an idiot I was for getting something wrong related to computers. I could handle this if the solution was a restart or updating drivers. I would slap my forhead and accept their scorn with good grace.
However it has normally been more advanced stuff that has caused me problems and it irks me that just because some geek spends 95% of their time around computers and knows them inside out, that they feel entitled to laugh at my mistakes when I am having a problem.
It would be considered poor form of me whilst playing a friendly game of football at the park, to laugh at the same geek as I dink the ball between his legs and go on to score a goal. I can’t then go on to make the comment,
“Ooh, your tackling is not very good.”
But for some reason it seems perfectly acceptable for computer guy to say to me,
“Your html is really cumbersome and ugly.”
I don’t understand why one kind of haughtiness is ok and the other is being a bad sport.